Congratulations to all of this year's winners!!!
Michigan Society of Radiologic Technologists Scholarship Report, 2017
The MSRT Scholarship and Grants were established in 1977. This is the 40th anniversary of the program. The program has assisted more than 240 students with in excess of $125,000.00.
The maintenance of this program has been through the Annual Scholarship Golf Outing, donations from members, conference speaker’s fees returned, and Student Board Review programs.
Advanced Radiology Associates Memorial Scholarships
Advanced Radiology Services, PC, a group of radiologists has also provided funding to the MSRT for two memorial scholarships that are awarded each year in memory of Rodney Smith, Ellen VanOss, and Rebecca Haney. All were outstanding radiographers at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids.
Bailey K. Knaach – Grand Valley State University Program of Radiation Therapy
Shannon L. Komor – Washtenaw Community College Program of Medical Radiography
Michigan Society of Radiologic Technology Scholarship is funded through the golf outing as well as donations received throughout the year. The 2017 Recipients are:
Aouli Maher – Wayne State University Program of Radiation Therapy
Crystal L. Heddy – Delta College Program of Medical Radiography
Christopher Matthew Dillion – Delta Program of Medical Radiography
Colleen J. Hays – Lansing Community College Program of Medical Radiography
Madison P. Cook – Grand Valley State University Program of Radiation Therapy
THE MSRT STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION/RULES
**ONLY AVAILABLE TO 2ND YEAR STUDENTS!
ORIGIN: Established by the MSRT in 1977;
The MSRT Scholarships are supported through a number of endeavors. The day prior to the start of the MSRT Annual Meeting a Scholarship Golf Outing is held to raise money. During the annual meeting a silent audition was held and a photo booth was available at the Wednesday night mixer. We are also indebted to a number of generous donors who annually provide funds to assist with awarding students these scholarships. We are grateful for the involvement of so many in providing students with financial assistance to help them meet their educational goals.
PURPOSE: To provide a means of financial assistance to the worthy second year student of the Radiologic sciences.
We offer a few different types...
Advanced Radiology Services, PC, a group of radiologists has also provided funding to the MSRT for two memorial scholarships that are awarded each year; they are the Rodney Smith and Ellen VanOss Scholarships. Both were outstanding radiographers at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids.
Rodney Smith left this earth in the fall of 2011 at the age of 22. He died from accidental injuries doing what he loved, hunting. He loved challenges and had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, always pushing the technologists and radiologists for answers to complex questions.
Ellen VanOss lived life to the fullest. Her presence would light up the room. She had a ready smile, memorable laughter and a caring nature. Ellen continued to have a spunky flair while meeting her life’s greatest challenge, breast cancer. On Friday, July 20, 2012, at the age of 33, Ellen won the race and is now victorious in heaven receiving her reward.
MAXIMUM AMOUNT: $500.00 per recipient
- Applicant must be enrolled in an ARRT/JCERT recognized program for the Radiologic Sciences located within the State of Michigan.
- Applicant must have successfully completed the first two (2) semesters, or the first half of the approved program.
- The applicant must have maintained a 2.5 GPA or higher while in this approved program.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicant must be a student member of the MSRT.
USE OF SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS:
- Tuition expenses incurred during enrollment in the approved program.
- Books, uniforms, and other appropriate materials required for completion of the approved program.
- Transportation, and/or housing expenses associated with the approved educational program.
- Any other expense as deemed appropriate by the MSRT Scholarship Committee and approved by the MSRT Executive Committee.
TO MAKE APPLICATION:
- Application is made through the MSRT Scholarship Committee.
- All applicants must complete General Information Form and the Financial Statement found by clicking the button below.
- All applicants must provide a Statement of Intent of Scholarship.
- Provide transcript of High School and/or College Grades.
- Written recommendation from the program director.
- Be prepared to interview with the Chairperson of the MSRT Scholarship Committee upon request.
PROCESS OF AWARDING SCHOLARSHIP:
- Awarding of the scholarship will follow the routine set by the MSRT Scholarship Committee as approved by the MSRT Board of Directors.
- All applications will be reviewed by the MSRT Scholarship Committee, and upon approval, presented to the MSRT Executive Board by the Committee Chairperson for approval.
- Approval must be by a majority of the Executive Board, and the Chairperson of the Scholarship Committee.
- The Scholarship Committee Chairperson will notify recipients and the scholarship awarded as approved by the Board of Directors.
All information submitted for consideration is to be recognized as confidential in nature and is to be protected as such by all individuals participating in this process.
PLEASE NOTE: The MSRT STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION is ONLY available to second year students of the Radiologic Sciences.
To access the application form, please click on the button above!
· Applications must be completed in full and submitted prior to the MSRT Annual Meeting to be eligible for financial consideration for the MSRT fiscal year of October 1 through September 30 following that Annual Meeting.
· Please print or type all information requested.
· A copy of the applicant’s high school and/or college transcript must accompany application.
· A letter of recommendation from the Director of the approved Radiologic science program must accompany application.
· A letter of intent from the applicant for the scholarship funds must accompany application.
· A financial disclosure must accompany application (found within the application).
· All required documentation must be provided before the MSRT Scholarship Committee will begin processing of the application.
· Return all completed documentation to the Scholarship Committee:
V. Kay Williams, BS, RT (R)(ARRT)
Chairperson, MSRT Scholarship Committee
1924 Crabtree Lane
Jenison, MI 49428
Required Documents Checklist:
1. Completed Application ________
2. Completed Letter of Intent ________
3. Proof of Enrollment in Approved Program ________
4. Transcripts ________
5. Recommendation of Program Director ________
6. Proof of MSRT membership ________